Crime Victim's Rights

As a crime victim, you are afforded rights under Minnesota Statute 611A.02 Subd 2.

  • You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime. This assistance does not cover property losses. For application and information, call 651-201-7300 or outside the Twin City area call 1-888-622-8799 or TDD 651-205-4827.
  • You have the right to request that the University Police Department withhold public access to data revealing your identity.
  • You have the right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money court ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).
  • If you feel your rights as a victim have been violated, you can contact the MN Crime Victims Ombudsman's Office at 651-201-7310 or 1-800-247-0390 or TDD 651-205-4827.