UMPD officers with students


University of Minnesota Police Department
Main Office
Transportation and Safety Building
511 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis

When to dial 9-1-1

To report an EMERGENCY, DIAL 911 immediately
Always call 9-1-1 if:

  • a crime is in progress, or
  • someone is hurt or threatened, or
  • you witness a suspicious person or unusual behavior
  • a weapon (gun, knife, etc) was used or threatened, or
  • you can provide information about who may have committed the crime


To report a crime that is not an emergency and is not in progress, please DIAL 612-624-COPS (2677) or stop by our lobby.  You will meet with an officer who will obtain detailed information from you.  The officer will be able to provide you with information on victim services, next steps and crime prevention information.

When reporting a crime, you will be asked many questions.  Here are some examples of information an officer will ask you about:

  • When the crime happened (date and time)
  • Where it happened 
  • Your name, contact information, State Driver’s License or ID number
  • Details of the event
  • Other people involved (suspect, if known; witnesses)
  • If property was involved, who owns it
  • The property owner's contact information
  • For a vehicles: Make, Model, Color, License Plate Number, Insurance-company name & policy number, etc. 
  • Property other than vehicles: Serial Number, Product Name, Manufacturer, Description, Condition, etc
  • For the details of the incident. There’s a section where you can describe in your own words, what happened.


Anonymous Tips Line

The University of Minnesota Police Department partners with community members to address issues of safety and security on campus.  It is important that there are multiple avenues for community members to share information with the department.  If you have information that you believe should be shared with UMPD, and you wish to remain anonymous, you may leave a voice message on the TIP Line at 612 624-TIPS (8477).  Please provide as much detail as you can including date, time, location, what the incident is, and the name(s) of the individuals involved.  If vehicles were involved, please provide license plate and a vehicle description, if known. 

If remaining anonymous is not important to you, please call us 612 624-2677 and a dispatcher will assist you at any time.  Please consider speaking with one of our dispatchers or a police officer to assist in the investigative process.

This Tips Line is not regularly monitored, if your matter is urgent or requires police response, please call 911.

If you wish to report University misconduct, you can make an anonymous report through U Report.